I had a lot of fun with this exercise. I imagined an app that
See map below (I jotted this down while I was doing the work). Hopefully it gives you a sense of my process. I gave myself time to iterate at certain stages and not others, and I felt like I had to skip some steps altogether.
I would have loved to spend time with teachers and students to be part of their journey to familiarity. I definitely felt this lack of context. I did what I could in the time I had though – I chatted with friends and colleagues whose jobs require them to remember faces and names... They all (not surprisingly) said they rely on associations, which is what many of the popular memorization techniques are based on. I would have loved to explore those techniques in more detail.
Given the opportunity, I would spend time with teachers and students to develop my understanding of their experience during the first part of a school year, conduct usability tests and facilitate working together regularly. Customer involvement is a critical part of the process.
People & Needs
Without research, I sketched out people and their needs (the sticky note colors are not significant). I noted some questions that I would've attempted to answer through research. This map gained a lot of detail over the course of a few iterations.
Activities & Context
A couple iterations later, the sketch of people and needs grew to include activities and an outline of the journey from the first day of school through un-aided accuracy in student name recall. I also guessed at what data might be important for certain objects based on the activities. Lastly I added some more detailed activity ideas and interaction concepts.
In addition to workflow design, I would generally create a more literal sitemap as well. I decided to skip that artifact in the interest of time.
I did some basic competitive analysis once I started to get a sense for the game-like nature of this experience. I spent time using Lumosity and Duolingo, and revisited some games that I thought had a charming art style like Dots.
Concept Ideation & Sketches
Once the primary activities and a rough workflow were laid out, I spent time ideating and sketching solutions. After sketching several concepts to compare, I'd normally create a detailed workflow and wireframe for the strongest ideas.
I opted to create wireframes for the 'Practice' section of the app. After an educator has created their identity, set up a class and added students, this part of the app would put all that information to work. I imagined a game experience that would combine learning opportunities with different question formats.
Responsive Layouts, Micro-interactions & Prototypes
I normally enjoy these parts of the process, but I skipped them in the interest of time. This app could be interesting in several contexts and might warrant other display sizes... So many ideas I'd love to explore.
I decided to create a visual design for the 'Class Detail' view of the app. This could serve as the primary view for the app, leading into the 'Practice' experience, switching between classes (using the top bar), student bios and a few other options from the global nav. The style is clean and colorful and puts a lot of focus on class and student photos. Given the time, I would also love to create a few different visual design concepts to be validated.
Total time spent: 10 hours
Digitally Imported Responsive Website
AudioAddict Radio Network Sites
Rally Quick Detail Panel
Digitally Imported for Android
Beatport Remix Contest Platform
Rally Responsive Concept
Mashbox for iPad
AudioAddict Radio Network Native Apps
Digitally Imported for Windows Phone